Saturday, August 27, 2005

Eros & Thanatos

Guernica, Pablo Picasso (1937)

this is, in my opinion, one of the greatest works of art E-VER! if you don't know the story behind this piece, please please please read the book Picasso's War: The Destruction of Guernica, and the Materpiece That Changed the World by Russell Martin (2002).

now, maybe Picasso isn't your sort of art. okay, I can accept that. it's an aquired taste. but that aspect doesn't really matter. if you are against indiscriminant bombing of people's homes, if you are appalled by the slaughter of innocent human beings, if you abhor facism, then you owe it to yourself to learn about this piece of art. it was Picasso's reaction to Nazi Germany's brutal distruction of the Spanish town of Gernika (the title is spelled "Guernica" because it was it was created for the Paris World's Fair). I'm not saying that you should like this painting. I'm simply saying that it's one of the most important pieces of anti-war art of the 20th century.

I hope you like it.

peace,

tigger grrl

(p.s. for those not versed in Greek mythology, my title, Eros & Thanatos, refers to "Love and Death")

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home